JAH Community Pet Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ban on certain breeds

3 posters

Go down

Ban on certain breeds Empty Ban on certain breeds

Post  mjsmittyjr Wed Nov 05, 2008 10:11 am

Has anyone heard anymore about either the City of Jennings, Welsh or even Jeff Davis Parish imposing bans on certain breeds of dogs? Question
mjsmittyjr
mjsmittyjr
Pack Member
Pack Member

Number of posts : 251
Pets : 3 dogs, 4 cats
Registration date : 2008-06-23

http://www.vomkonigshimmel.com/

Back to top Go down

Ban on certain breeds Empty ban on breeds

Post  myerskt Fri Nov 14, 2008 8:58 am

Welsh has had a ban for the last several years. I think there are 3 breeds involved. I pit bulls is one. Rots may be one too. I don't remember what the 3rd is. I'm outside the city limits, so I haven't kept up with it much.
myerskt
myerskt
Obedience Trained
Obedience Trained

Number of posts : 66
Pets : 3 dogs
Registration date : 2008-08-14

Back to top Go down

Ban on certain breeds Empty Re: Ban on certain breeds

Post  mjsmittyjr Fri Nov 14, 2008 6:05 pm

I had heard that Welsh did ban pits and any mix of this didn't know about any other breed. I really feel that some dogs from cetain breedings are more prone to agression, not so much a breed itself. I have a female rott whose temperament is very mild and non-aggressive, then my son-in-law got one from overseas that he uses in the working trials and it very agressive and high strung, so was all of the dogs in his pedigree.
mjsmittyjr
mjsmittyjr
Pack Member
Pack Member

Back to top Go down

Ban on certain breeds Empty breed bans

Post  myerskt Mon Nov 24, 2008 11:27 am

I absolutely agree. We have a pit, that is as dosile as can be. She has let every other dog pull rank on her. Even our kittens are more dominate.
myerskt
myerskt
Obedience Trained
Obedience Trained

Number of posts : 66
Pets : 3 dogs
Registration date : 2008-08-14

Back to top Go down

Post  mjsmittyjr Mon Nov 24, 2008 11:53 am

My 7 month old rotty, who weights nearly 55 lbs, is being pushed around in the house by my 4 year male Lhasa Apso, and when he says playtime over she understands it's over. I have grandkids who visit most weekends ranging in age from 1yr to 14 and I wouldn't want to have an aggressive dog around them, so I have incorporated into the dogs I have to be non-aggressive toward people. Now what a lot of people don't understand, is that dogs as well as people have a tendency to be territorial, my property, don't come un-invited or attempt to hurt someone that we love. So even I approach someone else's house who have pets, and wait until introduced to the animals by the owner. One simple thing to remember that I learn at a very early age, always put you hand out palm up and below the eye level of the dog for them to know your not going to strike them. With this approach most times it good for you and the dog.
puppykisses
mjsmittyjr
mjsmittyjr
Pack Member
Pack Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Riverdog Tue Nov 25, 2008 3:36 am

I'm suddenly reminded of the movie Lethal Weapon 3 where Mel Gibson confronts a watch dog by getting down on all fours and sharing a dog biscuit. Laugh

Honestly though, It's too bad they can't pose a ban on bad dog owners. Some people should not be allowed to own pets with aggressive tendencies.

I had a German Shepard that was as gentle as a kitten. That is until she was about 8 years old. We always took her camping and she was always a good girl. One trip when she was around 8 years old a bunch of boy scouts were running down the path to where we were camped and she jumped the first one in line. She didn't draw blood but that was the last time I ever truly trusted her around kids. After 8 years and her playing with everyone and anyone you tend to reach a comfort zone with your pet. There are certain breeds you really can never let your guard down no matter how well you train them. I would have bet money that she would never do anything like that. Sad She never tried to do anything like that again, but then I never gave her the opportunity!

In another incident, my roommate in college had a Doberman that I lived with for four years since she was a pup. She was very gentle and never showed any aggression to anyone coming in the house and in college there was always someone new coming or going. One day my boyfriend was helping me put on my coat before we left the house and she jumped up and grabbed my arm and wouldn't let go. I still have the scars. We never did figure out what triggered her to bite me but it took three people to get her off my arm! With 200 lbs of pressure per square inch, I know she could have broken my arm if she wanted to. I don't think there was anything in her socialization or training that would have prevented what she did.

I still don't believe any breed should be banned. I do believe owners need to be more educated when picking a breed that is known to have aggressive behavior. As an alternative to banning, I think it would be better to make potential owners (of banned breeds) go through a training course and require a license. Heck, why not even do a background check like we have to do with guns. After all, an aggressive dog can be used as a weapon just as much as a gun. It's not a perfect solution but it beats having a bunch of poor innocent dogs getting uprooted from their homes.
Riverdog
Riverdog
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 259
Pets : Labrador Retriever
Registration date : 2008-05-17

http://jenningsanimalhospital.net/message_forum/index.html/

Back to top Go down

Post  mjsmittyjr Tue Nov 25, 2008 8:19 am

I have had several dogs and cats that just didn't like some people, like the old saying goes animals sense somethings in people that we don't see. Maybe the dog was in it own way was under the idea you were in danger and was trying to drag you away the only way it knew. As a animal owner we should always be aware of our pets attitude around people, so much like us they may act differnt in differnt situations. I for one would like to bite some of the people around me sometimes but not all the time. We all have our bad moments or days.
tease
mjsmittyjr
mjsmittyjr
Pack Member
Pack Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content