JAH Community Pet Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What training tool has produced the best results with your dog?

4 posters

Go down

What training tool has produced the best results with your dog?

What training tool has produced the best results with your dog? Vote_lcap80%What training tool has produced the best results with your dog? Vote_rcap 80% 
[ 4 ]
What training tool has produced the best results with your dog? Vote_lcap20%What training tool has produced the best results with your dog? Vote_rcap 20% 
[ 1 ]
What training tool has produced the best results with your dog? Vote_lcap0%What training tool has produced the best results with your dog? Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
What training tool has produced the best results with your dog? Vote_lcap0%What training tool has produced the best results with your dog? Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
[ 0 ]
[ 0 ]
[ 0 ]
[ 0 ]
[ 0 ]
[ 0 ]

Total Votes : 5

What training tool has produced the best results with your dog? Empty What training tool has produced the best results with your dog?

Post  Riverdog Thu Sep 04, 2008 11:50 am

I know there could be more than one answer here but I would like to know the ONE tool that has produced the best results with your dog.

Food works with Doc. Smile

Last edited by Riverdog on Fri Sep 05, 2008 12:35 am; edited 1 time in total
Riverdog
Riverdog
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 259
Pets : Labrador Retriever
Registration date : 2008-05-17

http://jenningsanimalhospital.net/message_forum/index.html/

Back to top Go down

What training tool has produced the best results with your dog? Empty Re: What training tool has produced the best results with your dog?

Post  mjsmittyjr Thu Sep 04, 2008 12:36 pm

Great question, maybe we can get some input to help us with our training Excited
mjsmittyjr
mjsmittyjr
Pack Member
Pack Member

Number of posts : 251
Pets : 3 dogs, 4 cats
Registration date : 2008-06-23

http://www.vomkonigshimmel.com/

Back to top Go down

What training tool has produced the best results with your dog? Empty Re: What training tool has produced the best results with your dog?

Post  silvaheyes Thu Sep 04, 2008 2:55 pm

It's not up there but the NILF (Nothing In Life is Free) method works great for us.. Also consistency with whatever we're doing.
silvaheyes
silvaheyes
Obedience Trained
Obedience Trained

Number of posts : 90
Pets : 4 Boxers, 2 fish, a horse, a cat, and a goat
Registration date : 2008-06-27

Back to top Go down

Post  mjsmittyjr Thu Sep 04, 2008 3:09 pm

My pup will do anything I say for a pupcorn or breath buster.
mjsmittyjr
mjsmittyjr
Pack Member
Pack Member

Number of posts : 251
Pets : 3 dogs, 4 cats
Registration date : 2008-06-23

http://www.vomkonigshimmel.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Riverdog Fri Sep 05, 2008 12:24 am

silvaheyes wrote:It's not up there but the NILF (Nothing In Life is Free) method works great for us.. Also consistency with whatever we're doing.
Just for you silva, I edited the poll to add NILF. Very Happy
I just looked up NILF. I didn't know that was what I was doing but I guess I practice NILF and didn't even know it! Laugh

Doc will listen without food after he knows the trick but when training food still works the best to initially teach him the trick.

I have to confess when he was younger he was (and still is) VERY strong willed. I never owned a dog that strong willed. Even though he knew to "come" or "stay" when it came to chasing a car up the driveway (we are in the country on a dead end road) or chasing deer he would not listen at all! He was either going to get run over by a car or shot by a hunter. We invested in a PetSafe shock collar and remote. I shocked myself first. I wasn't about to put it on my dog without knowing what it felt like! It only took a setting of 3 and shocking him 2 different times to teach him not to chase a car and it only took once to stop him from chasing deer. In total he was shocked maybe a half dozen times or less in his life for major behavioral problems then the collar was set to "beep" only. The beep worked great and after about 6 months he never put the collar on again.

I would only recommend a shock collar for behavioral problems that can put your dogs life in jeopardy if not controlled. I do not believe shock collars should be meant as a "training tool". You dog should already know commands before you ever use a shock collar. A shock collar is not a "quick fix" and I feel shouldn't be used unless all other resources have failed.

We were at our wits end with Doc but the shock collar was a miracle for us. We have had many dogs and I never had as much trouble breaking them of cars, deer, etc as I did Doc. Doc was like a kid that would get smart ellic when you corrected them. Laugh
Riverdog
Riverdog
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 259
Pets : Labrador Retriever
Registration date : 2008-05-17

http://jenningsanimalhospital.net/message_forum/index.html/

Back to top Go down

What training tool has produced the best results with your dog? Empty training

Post  myerskt Fri Sep 05, 2008 6:34 pm

food, food, and food! I once had a dog who liked to eat so much, that even his daily vitamin was a reward. Used it to teach him to sit up and beg. Clapping
myerskt
myerskt
Obedience Trained
Obedience Trained

Number of posts : 66
Pets : 3 dogs
Registration date : 2008-08-14

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down