Family shares hard lesson about rattlers

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Family shares hard lesson about rattlers

Post  Riverdog on Mon Aug 18, 2008 4:44 pm

Who in their right mind would wait from Sunday to the following Friday to take their dog to the vet after suspecting a poisonous snake bite. Blink nono

Family shares hard lesson about rattlers
By Dave Miller / Hi-Desert Star Saturday, August 16, 2008 12:45 AM PDT

FLAMINGO HEIGHTS — With the “dog days” of summer upon us, a local resident shares a story of tragedy and says that while rattlesnakes are a threat to humans who aren’t careful around their Hi-Desert property, they are also a deadly threat to the family’s pets.

Tammy McCormick has a tragic story to share with Hi-Desert dwellers, one where an unnoticed rattlesnake bit the family’s American cocker spaniel pet of five years, Clyde, the weekend of Aug. 1.

Clyde was out in the yard Saturday night (Aug. 2) and Sunday morning (Aug. 3). “It appeared the dog was bitten by a snake and we suspected it was a rattler,” McCormick said.

“Early Monday morning,‘Clyde began to act lethargic, by Tuesday, he was shaking badly and by Wednesday, he couldn’t walk,” McCormick said.

McCormick took him to the veterinarian Friday morning.

“We were sent home with medicine, but toxins were in him and Saturday, the vet found puncture wounds on the neck under the left ear.

“By then it was too late as his kidneys began shutting down and he was paralyzed on his left side. A decision was made to put him to sleep.”

McCormick said her family is saddened greatly by Clyde’s loss, but she wants Hi-Desert residents to be warned that rattlesnakes are not only a threat to men, women and children across the Hi-Desert but, as she learned from this tragedy, these native residents of the desert can be deadly opponents for the family pets.

She cautioned neighbors and visitors to the Hi-Desert to be alert when traveling through the desert areas; to vaccinate the family pet against deadly rattlesnake bites; to take quick action to be sure your property and surrounding desert area are safe for you and your pets to take that favorite walk.

“Know in advanced how to reach a veterinarian in case of an emergency involving a rattlesnake bite,” she advised.

After warning everyone about her recent tragedy, McCormick said she has been blessed as Clyde left behind his sister, Bonnie, also 5 years old, “to comfort my family.”

She concluded this warning which now comes from a rattlesnake bite expert: “We’re more careful now!”
avatar
Riverdog
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 259
Age : 62
Pets : Labrador Retriever
Registration date : 2008-05-17

View user profile http://jenningsanimalhospital.net/message_forum/index.html/

Back to top Go down

Snakebite

Post  myerskt on Mon Aug 18, 2008 4:52 pm

Poor baby!!!!! How could someone wait the whole week!!! I would have been to the ER that night!!!!
avatar
myerskt
Obedience Trained
Obedience Trained

Number of posts : 66
Age : 39
Pets : 3 dogs
Registration date : 2008-08-14

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Family shares hard lesson about rattlers

Post  Riverdog on Mon Aug 18, 2008 4:56 pm

I almost consider that abuse! Rant

The scary part is they still own the sister of the dog that died! Fear
avatar
Riverdog
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 259
Age : 62
Pets : Labrador Retriever
Registration date : 2008-05-17

View user profile http://jenningsanimalhospital.net/message_forum/index.html/

Back to top Go down

Re: Family shares hard lesson about rattlers

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum