JAH Community Pet Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Representative proposes bill that targets operators of puppy mills

2 posters

Go down

Representative proposes bill that targets operators of puppy mills Empty Representative proposes bill that targets operators of puppy mills

Post  Riverdog Mon Jun 09, 2008 2:44 am

Representative proposes bill that targets operators of puppy mills

Posted: June 3, 2008 08:29 PM
By Caroline Moses

BATON ROUGE, LA (WAFB) - If you have a dog or want to buy a puppy, we have some important information to pass on to you. Your new best friend could be coming from a dangerous puppy mill. Right now, puppy mills in Louisiana are legal, as long as conditions are not completely unbearable.

Arnold Kairdolf has been breeding standard poodles for almost a decade. He keeps them in an air-conditioned room. He grooms them regularly. He also lets them out to play at least three times a day. It's hard work. "At 5:30 in the morning I'm out there feeding dogs and at 6:30 I'm picking up poop and at 12 I'm checking on things, picking up poop again," he says. He does all that work for about a dozen dogs. Kairdolf says many more dogs than that would be impossible.

Yet, puppy mills sometimes crate more than 200 dogs all in one facility. "They had over 200 crates in their trailer and just feces everywhere," Kairdolf says. Breeders can legally do this in Louisiana, as long as authorities cannot prove cruelty. The same goes for many surrounding states. "I know these type of operations. They've exploded in Texas and Arkansas and Mississippi is even worse," says Rep. Harold Ritchie of Bogalusa. He is pushing a bill to limit Louisiana puppy breeders to 75 dogs. If breeders have more than that, they'll be fined up to $500. "It's no life for a dog, really," Ritchie says.

"I think the very first thing a person should ask is I'd like to see where the dogs are kept," says Kairdolf. He says you should also ask to see the puppies' parents, the puppies' vet, and a list of references to make sure you are not buying from a mill. "You want to do a little research on it and make sure you do some background and history," he says. Kairdolf says Ritchie's bill might help, but the best way to truly stop puppy mills is if you, the customer, stop supporting them.

Ritchie's bill has already won House approval. Tuesday, it passed quickly through a Senate committee. Next, it goes to the Senate floor for a final vote. For more tips to make sure you are not buying from a puppy mill, click here.
75 dogs is still way too many dogs! Wonder if the 75 dogs is including the puppies or just the adult dogs. I would hope that includes puppies.
Riverdog
Riverdog
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 259
Pets : Labrador Retriever
Registration date : 2008-05-17

http://jenningsanimalhospital.net/message_forum/index.html/

Back to top Go down

Representative proposes bill that targets operators of puppy mills Empty Re: Representative proposes bill that targets operators of puppy mills

Post  Cindy Mon Jun 09, 2008 2:56 am

Here is more information and a petition to sign. Just sad. Sad

Louisiana’s ‘Puppy Mill’ Bill Doesn’t Fit the Bill! PETITION!

-
Cindy
Cindy
JAH Vet/Moderator
JAH Vet/Moderator

Number of posts : 16
Pets : Sheltie
Registration date : 2008-05-27

http://www.jenningsanimalhospital.net

Back to top Go down